Thursday, February 5, 2009

Please Welcome Author...Heidi Betts!!


DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC?

Hello, everyone! Thank you so much to Gracen for inviting me to chat about my single title contemporary debut, TANGLED UP IN LOVE (http://www.heidibetts.com/books/tangled.php), which just came out on Tuesday! Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo! :-D And thanks, too, to the rest of the Deadly Vixens for letting me spend the day with them. Your hospitality is much appreciated. :)

I have to admit, when it came time to writing this post, I drew a bit of a blank. (Not easy for me, either, since I’m used to writing, have also been known to talk the paint off the walls after one too many caffeinated beverages. *g* But you see, The Deadly Vixens write dark, edgy, paranormal romance. I don’t. Their websites are all dark mysterious. Mine so is not. I’m assuming that the majority of their readers, visitors to this blog are fans of the dark, paranormal, mysterious. Nothing wrong with that, but it does make me feel a tad like Snoopy being dropped into the center of Dungeons & Dragons. LOL

So I wracked my brain, trying to come up with something that my books have in common with the Deadly Vs. Something that you guys might find interesting not too bright or chipper for your shadowy, cave-like existence. *vbg* Here’s what I came up with…

Magic.

That’s right, magic is what TANGLED UP IN LOVE and I might stand a chance of having in common with this dark, dangerous lair and your reading preferences.

While I wouldn’t call TANGLED UP IN LOVE a paranormal by any stretch of the imagination, it does actually contain a small paranormal element. You see, in addition to the three funky “Chicks with Sticks”, the three smart sexy men who keep them company throughout the series, there’s this character in the trilogy named Charlotte. Charlotte is aunt to one of the knitting gals (Jenna from Book 2, LOVES ME, LOVES ME KNOT, which will be out in August) and considers herself a bit of a matchmaker…as well as a Lucille Ball wannabe, judging by her choice of hair color and penchant for getting herself into trouble. *g*

Charlotte raises alpacas and spins their fibers into yarn that she then uses to knit all manner of wonderful things, like scarves and sweaters and hats and mittens. Charlotte also happens to have a spinning wheel that’s been handed down from generation to generation through the women of her family, which is said to be enchanted. Magic. Able to bring true love to those who use the yarn it creates.

Is the wheel actually enchanted? Does it truly possess magic, happily-ever-after powers? I don’t know…I think I’ll let you decide that one for yourselves. :-D

But what I will tell you is that there is something very magical about this entire trilogy for me. From the way it came about in the first place (which is a story I shared early last week with readers at both my WIPs Chains and Must Love Yarn blogs, if you’d like to go back and read it), to the way every detail of the stories came together---everything in between. It was like I had a fairy godmother sitting on my shoulder, guiding me in all the right directions and bringing all the right things to me with a wave of her wand and a tiny sprinkle of her glittery dust. And I couldn’t seem to stop myself from sharing a bit of that fairy dust with the characters of this series so they would be assured of having their Happily Ever Afters, as well.

No doubt about it, a little bit of magic, a little bit of legend, and a whole lot of faith are involved in bringing Veronica Chasen and Dylan Stone (the hero/heroine of TANGLED UP IN LOVE) together. Frankly, considering how much these two despise each other when the book begins, I’m not sure it would have happened without a touch of magic. LOL

So tell me, do you believe in magic? Do you believe in enchanted objects, or lucky charms, or blessings passed down from those who have passed before us? Tell me what you think…maybe even give an example of a time when it felt like magic was at work in your life…and at the end of the day, with the Vixens’ permission, I’ll draw the names of three winners, each of whom will get to choose an autographed title from my backlist (http://www.heidibetts.com/books/index.php#back). (This includes the HOTTER THAN HELL anthology, by the way, though you may need to scroll up a bit to see its cover.)

Thank you again for having me, and for giving me the chance to chat with you about the first of my hot, sexy knitting romances!

*~*~*

To read an except of Tangled Up In Love, go here: http://www.heidibetts.com/books/tangled.php

And for Heidi’s bio, please visit: http://www.heidibetts.com/bio.php

*~*~*

Love & stitches,
Heidi

*~*~*

http://www.heidibetts.com/
www.HeidiBetts.com/WIPSChains
www.HeidiBetts.com/MustLoveYarn

28 deadly screams:

CrystalGB said...

Hi Heidi. Congratulations on the release of Tangled Up In Love. I do believe in magic. There are wonderful things that happen that have to be magic.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read the book
I believe there are magical moments in a person's life whether we create that moment or it simply is.
JOYE

Fedora said...

Hi, Heidi! Sneaking over from the dungeon to do a little stalking ;) I'm not sure about enchanted objects, but I think that the users of the objects can make magic happen by what they do and believe. And all love seems pretty magical to me! Happy knitting! ;)

Heidi Betts said...

Good...well, afternoon, I guess! Sorry to be late to the party, but my appt. this morning ran a little longer than expected!

Now to catch up...

Sarah Mäkelä said...

Hi Heidi! Thanks for blogging with The Deadly Vixens. I loved your comment about feeling "like Snoopy dropped into the center of Dungeons & Dragons." lol! I believe magic exists. As for a time that I felt magic was at work in my life, I think that happened when Gracen and I met during our release chat, which led to the opening of The Deadly Vixens and a long friendship. =)

Heidi Betts said...

Hi, Crystal, great to "see" you again! Thanks for the congrats. I am so happy to finally have TANGLED out there in the world after such a long wait! Totally worth it, tho. :-D

And I believe in magic the same way you do...wonderful things that happen in our lives with no scientic reason to back them up. ;-) That's the best kind of magic, don't you think?

Heidi Betts said...

Hi, Joye! I'm so glad you're looking forward to TANGLED. I hope you'll let me know what you think after you've had a chance to read it.

I like your definition of magic, too. There are definitely times, I think, when we're able to make a little magic for ourselves or others...or even just let the magic happen instead of overthinking matters. :-)

Heidi Betts said...

Hi, Fedora! It's nice to know Mistress Heidi let you off your leash for a bit. *vbg*

I never know if I believe in lucky or magical objects, either...or if the objects because lucky/magic because the person believes they are. Such a fine line. :-)

Heidi Betts said...

Hi, Sarah! Thanks so much for having me today, I really appreciate it! I love the Vixens site, but you must admit I stick out just a tad. *vbg*

And I LOVE those moments when you meet people & feel an instant connection; the ones who become your very best friends. Definitely something magic about, if you ask me. :-D

Kenzie Michaels said...

I agree:) Some people you just 'know' right off the bat if the friendship/relationship is going to last!

Anonymous said...

Wow Heidi,

You're just the Blogging Queen today! I just finished a post at Plot Monkeys and imagine my surprise when I refreshed my Deadly Vixens blog page and saw your name in the title as guest blogger!

May you think of the phrase, "Blogging Queen," every time you hear the song, "Dancing Queen," by Abba. Rather than post the silly lyrics here, I'll email them to you. I gotta work on 'em, as the idea just flitted into my head....

Hotter Than Hell is a great anthology by the way!!

Carrie

Laura J. said...

Okay--I have to say if you have not picked up this book then you better have a really good reason!!! You are missing out on a good book. In fact a very, VERY good book.

Charlotte is so sweet and well intentioned I just love her.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely believe in magic! I enjoyed your blog post, and had a good laugh at the excerpt. Tangled Up In Love looks like a lot of fun. Knitting and quilting stories often have that "community of women" element that I really love.

Heidi Betts said...

Hi, Kenzie! Yep; two of my very best friendships started that way. Met, started chatting, & before we knew it...separated at birth. LOL

Heidi Betts said...

Hi again, Carrie! Now I really am going to have that song in my head...only with different lyrics. LOL

I'm so glad you're enjoying HOTTER THAN HELL. It was really fun to be involved in that collection, & I loved the chance to write a little something paranormal for a change. Plus, dragons...who could resist? *g*

Heidi Betts said...

Thank you, Laura! (Have I mentioned that your check is in the mail? *vbg*) I'm very glad you're enjoying TANGLED & liking Charlotte so much. She's so very fun to write about. :-)

Heidi Betts said...

Hi, Laria! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post & excerpt. TANGLED was huge fun to write. It's definitely got that group of women element, & a weekly knitting meeting, to boot. Plus, funny, sexy stuff that hasn't really been done yet where knitting romance is concerned. I was *so* lucky that my editor gave me total freedom where that was concerned...& I took advantage, believe me. LOL

Laura J. said...

Oh and I have a "Dylan" for you to check out. Will send a bit later. After I saw him, he was the face that kept popping in my mind as I read the book. I think you will like him.

Heidi Betts said...

Oooh, I can't wait. I think we can stretch out the "Dylan" Sexy Saturdays over in The Dungeon for a while longer, don't you? ;-)

Jane said...

Hi Heidi,
Maybe we could work on a magic potion together.

Gracen Miller said...

Heidi, thank you so much for blogging with us today. This blog had me giggling in so many places. The snoopy comment, along with the talking paint off walls really set me off. *giggles* I can relate to both at different times in my life. BTW, your humor lightened up our shadowy, cave-like existence. ;-)

You're books sound entertaining and I can't wait to pick them up to read! Congrats on the new release and good luck!

And just know, as far as this Vixen is concerned, you have a standing invitation to blog with us again if you're ever interested.

Laura J. said...

You will recognize him because I think you watch that show. I checked out his stats on imDb too even his height is right.

Heidi Betts said...

LOL, Jane. That sounds like a plan. I was never very good a chemistry, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. :-)

Heidi Betts said...

Hi, Gracen! Thank *you* for having me, it's been a blast. And thank you, too, for the sweet offer to come back...I'll definitely take you up on that some time. ;-)

Heidi Betts said...

LOL, Laura. Good to know you're thorough. Can't have a Sexy Saturday hunk in The Dungeon if he's not the right height. *vbg* I really am curious, tho, cuz you know I'm glued to the TV 26hrs a day...who could it possibly be?!?

Heidi Betts said...

Good morning, all! Lest you think I've forgotten about offering to give away books from my Backlist...I so did not! I simply went to bed a little early last night & forgot to announce winners beforehand. (Hey, just wait till you turn 29; you'll fall asleep early, too! *g*)

Had my kitties help me pick, & the readers who apparently smelled most like catnip were...

Joye
Laria Lee &
Crystal GB

Congratulations, ladies! As mentioned in my blog post, please visit the Backlist section of my website (located on the Books page) & pick a book you'd like to read. Then contact me with your title choice & mailing information, either thru the contact form also located on the website or at heidi@heidibetts.com, & I'll get your books out to you!

Thank you so much for blogging with me. And thank you, Vixens, for inviting me to visit. I had a terrific time!

CrystalGB said...

Thank you so much Heidi. :)

Sarah Mäkelä said...

We really enjoyed having you with us, Heidi! Like Gracen said, definitely come visit us again. =)