Sunday, November 9, 2008

Please Welcome Author...E. Jamie!!

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us! E. Jamie’s newest release by Amira Press is Redemption. Her erotic novella will be available in ebook on November 21st, 2008! You can visit her at her website http://ejamie.net

1. When/how did you know you wanted to write?

I was very lucky in that I've always known what I wanted to do. I was never one of those kids in school who was taking different subjects trying to figure out what my career would be. I've always loved to read and to be able to create these worlds and characters like those I was reading seemed like the best possible thing to do for a living.

2. Is writing your full time job or do you have another job also?

I made the transition this year to writing fulltime from home. I work as a freelance non-fiction writer and that gives me the freedom to devote my time to my true love: writing romance.

3. Who are some of your favorite authors?

My two absolute favorite authors are Paullina Simons and Diana Gabaldon. They write the two series I just adore. Paullina writes the Bronze Horseman series which is a romance set in WW2 Russia. Very Dr Zhivago. Diana writes the Outlander series which is a time travel romance featuring the hunky scot Jamie Fraser. I try and read both series every year but since my own writing has taken off I haven't had the time. It's a good problem to have!

4. How long does it usually take for you to research a book?

I tend to write the first draft and then go back and do the research and work stuff in as I edit draft 2. Hopefully no more than a month.

5. Some authors start out with a plot in mind, others with characters whom they’ll follow to reveal the theme. What works best for you and why?

I'm very much a plot driven writer. I'm in awe of those writers who can start off with a character and just follow them along. I have to know going in who that character is and what her journey will be. Now as I write, twists and surprises happen but for the most part, the plot remains how I planned it.

6. Many authors are doing strictly e-books, do you think this is just a trend, or does it spell the end of real books?

I think if it does happen it will be because print books are getting so expensive! Thirty dollars for a hardcover! That will have to change if print books want to remain an option for book buyers. I think readers love the tactile feeling of holding a print book though so assuming the price does come down, I don't see print books disappearing anytime soon.

7. How long does it take for you to write books?


It obviously depends on the length. My first two published shorts were a couple of weeks start to finish. My new novella Redemption took about a month and a half. Novel length works usually take me a couple of months for a first draft if I'm not being lazy and procrastinating.

8. Do you see yourself writing in the same genre in 10 years? If not then what?

I think I'll always write erotic romance but I'd love to be published in mainstream romance as well. I also have a lot of ideas in the supernatural/religious thriller genre and have had a work in progress in that genre that I've had to shelve many times as my erotica has taken off! I love reading those kinds of books ala Dan Brown. I'm also getting into reading paranormal romances and those are giving me some ideas as well. I don't want to be pigeon holed into one genre.

9. What advice do you give to those who are just starting out or trying to become published?

I know alot of people tout the Butt In Chair method, being disciplined and plugging away at it and I cetainly agree with that, but I think just as important is the 'Move Your Ass' method. Writing is all good and fine but nothing is going to happen if you don't get out there and submit and keep submitting!

10. Getting back to your books coming out soon. Tell us a little about what to expect from them?

Redemption is a steamy historical/western novella that is being published by Amira Press and is coming out this November 21st. It's a marriage of convenience story between a young innocent Katie Beaumont and outlaw Ben Cready. Katie witnesses her mother's murder at the hands of her uncle and she meets Ben Cready the day before he's supposed to hang. They marry so that she can claim his homestead as her own and hide there. They share one night of explosive passion. Unbeknowest to Katie at the last minute Ben is given a reprieve by the Sherriff who wants him to track down his nephew's killer. Six months later, Ben returns a free man, to claim the bride he's never been able to forget.

11. Do you have any projects you are currently working on?

I'm currently working on a contemporary full length novel called 'Till Death Do Us Part' which is an erotic romance. It's a rich girl/poor boy story. Connor Nolan and Sara Hawthorne elope and her father has him murdered, or so Sara thinks. Grief stricken and pregnant, she marries Connor's best friend Aaron to avoid an arranged marriage and when Connor returns, Sara must choose between her new found love and her first love.

12. When and where can we purchase your books?

You can purchase my books through my website www.ejamie.net, www.amirapress.com and through Fictionwise and Amazon Kindle.

13. How do you feel about fans doing fan fiction and/or roleplaying on the web based on your or other author's works?

I really have no problem with it and I don't understand authors that do. I mean, fan fiction by it's very nature lets you know that they are not trying to steal your work but simply playing with it as fans. As long as they're not claiming to be you and trying to sell it, I say have at it. Personally, I know A LOT of famous authors who got their start in fanfiction. It's a wonderful training ground.

14. What are you reading right now?

Right now I'm reading The Darkest Joy by Dahlia Rose who is a fellow Amira author. It's a gorgeous paranormal romance about a fallen angel named Caim who is sort of like a soul collector and he falls in love with a mortal. If I were to try writing in the paranormal romance genre it would probably be a 'fallen angel' type of premise.

15. Give us three "Good to Know" facts about you?

Ah let's see. I love to cook but can't make soup. Seriously, I can make a roast dinner to feed ten people but soup never comes out right for me! I either screw up the water rationing or I don't let it cook long enough. It's frustrating as hell! Number 2, I can't write in silence. I need noise to write. If it's too quiet, my mind wanders but for some reason, having music or TV on in the background helps me focus. Number 3 My brain has no off switch. Seriously. I can make a plot out of anything. I can look at a pencil and it will inspire this whole story about maybe school girls who witness a murder or a writer being haunted by some hunky demon!

16. How do you structure your day for writing?

While I was working at my day job, I would write in the late afternoon into the evening and now that I'm working from home I still find that schedule to be my most productive. I am sooooo not a morning person so I usually leave mornings and early afternoon for e-mail, research and promotion then from four to midnight is when my brain becomes alert enough to be creative. I'm trying to change that so I can be more productive but so far that's the shedule.

*****

Redemption Blurb: On the run from a murderous uncle, Katie married outlaw Ben Cready the day before he was supposed to hang. They shared one night of explosive passion and for six months, she'd believed herself a widow. Now Ben is back to claim what's his, and that includes the sweet bride he'd never been able to forget.

Forbidden Blurb: Alexandra is suffering from anxiety about her upcoming wedding. She loves her fiance but wonders if she'll ever feel real passion. Max has been in love with Alexandra for months but keeps his feelings hidden as she prepares to marry his best friend. When she comes to him one night, will loyalty be enough to deny his heart's desire?

*****

CONTEST:


E. Jamie is holding a contest, so be sure to participate!!!

The first person to e-mail her at
nancy777ca@yahoo.ca letting her know they found her through our blog will get a free copy of her ebook, Forbidden.




*WARNING* Some books may contain explicit material and are for persons 18 years of age or older. If you are not at least 18, please do not enter the contest, as we have no way of knowing your actual age. By entering this contest, you are accepting these terms and are stating that you are at least 18 years of age or older. Thank you. *WARNING*


Please note: Winners will be chosen by E. Jamie and not The Deadly Vixens.

4 deadly screams:

Meg said...

Loved this interview. The two book covers are lovely.

E. Jamie said...

Thanks very much! The Forbidden cover is just delicious and the Redemption cover so perfectly conveys that plot and mood of the story. I was very lucky. The artist Valeri Tibbs did a wonderful job.

I just wanted to pop in and let people know that the free copy has been given away. I didn't expect such quick responses! Thanks a lot guys. And please check out my website ejamie.net cause if you didn't get your chance for a free book this time, I'm always having contests and free books will sometimes be included in the prizes, especially with the release of Redemption coming out soon on the 21st!

E. Jamie

Gracen Miller said...

Hi, E. Jamie! Thanks so much for blogging with us. I agree with Pheebles, the book covers are gorgeous, very well done! You must be very proud of them. Kudos to the cover artist!

You had me chuckling over #9. lol Very true words. As for fan fiction, I wrote my first one this past summer. It felt strange writing about characters someone else had created, but I also learned how well I actually knew those characters. It was fun, but not something I'd want to do often. It also made me realize how obsessed I was/am over the tv show. *looks about nervously* I can't believe I just admitted that confession out loud. ;-)

Thanks again for guest blogging with us! Good luck on your new release and all your other releases!

E. Jamie said...

Thanks for having me Gracen. It was so fun!

I think submitting becomes addicting once you start. Not that you lose the nervousness but the process becomes fun too and you want to keep doing it.

I believe fanfiction is a wonderful training ground for writers.

I will definitely be back to Deadly Vixens to check out all the other amazing authors!