Friday, January 23, 2009

Get Out of My Head!!!!

Awesome Friday everyone! *waves* My apologies for posting this late.

I had a supernatural topic I was going to post today, but then I decided I would propose a question to you. Do we writers spend too much time in our heads?

I ask this because all I’ve done this week is create scenes and dialogue in my head. My kids are talking and I’m fantasizing about dialogue between my characters. My husband is rambling about work and I’m masterminding detailed love scenes in my mind. The television is playing my favorite show Supernatural and I’m creating a new monster of the week to wreak havoc on my heroine/hero.

This daydreaming got me into a spot of hot water yesterday too. My oldest son reminded me that I had promised to take him to Wal-Mart so he could purchase a fish tank with his money. He’s caught a Salamander out of the creek in our backyard—all ready named it Rocky (I am sooooo rolling my eyes)—and he thinks it should have a home in MY home. My opinion, it looks a lot like a lizard, so it isn’t happening! My youngest is backing him, arguing vehemently that I agreed, which is strange because they never agree on anything—ever. Anyway, I said, I never promised that and I’m thinking to myself “Are they smoking crack?” because I would NEVER agree to allow a lizard-looking creature into my home! They know this. So…to back up his defense he commences to repeating where we were, what we were doing and the exact conversation when I agreed to the SNAFU. And somewhere along the way of the retelling I have an “A-ha!” moment because that was when the heroine in my head said to the hero, “Come here, cowboy.”

Big gulp!

Yep, you guessed it, hot-freaking-water! Now, how do I get myself out of it? I can’t confess to an eleven and seven year old that I was thinking about risqué dialogue that ended up in sexual positions during our conversation. So, it looks like the slimy little sucker is going to have a home in my home. *shudders*

So, again, my question…do you as a writer spend a lot of time in your head, daydreaming, spinning scenes and dialogue? Or do I spend too much time in my head and should seek psychiatric help to come out of my fictional world? ;-) Seriously wouldn’t happen if everyone told me to do it, because quite frankly some days I like the fiction I create better than the world I live in. =)

I hope everyone has had a fabulous week and hope you have an equally awesome weekend!

1 deadly screams:

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

Great blog. I may not be published yet, but I can tell you from experience, there's no other way to be a writer. We have no control over the characters in our head once we give them life (as in attributes, character and personality). Once we know what they look like, how they talk, what they do, how strong they are and what their weaknesses are, they have a life of their own.

For example, I had an exam I was supposed to be studying for, but I couldn't concentrate on the material at hand.

Why?

Well, a character that I had accidentally given life to during musings about what to write for a class writing project was kicking around in my head and reused to let me think of anything else until I wrote some of his stuff down. Very annoying.

And so true, sometimes I feel like I'd rather live in my own world than join everyone else!

That's why I like sci-fi and fantasy genres. You don't have to interact with real people to create characters! However it does help to stay remotely connected so words like "bling and mos def" don't blind side you, making you go, "huh?"

On the salamander. No, it isn't a lizard. Lizards are more ground dwellers (reptile) where salamanders more aquatic (amphibian). They aren't that bad and you have two boys, so be happy it wasn't a snake!!!

Pets are great learning tools for kids. Tell them if they are going to keep it, they need to learn about them and learn how to take care of them properly, especially if they want to keep it in the house.

You never know, you might have a future vet or zookeeper on your hands!

Also, think of it as research for a character. Maybe what you learn with your kids about them might help you come up with a neat back story for a character. Ooh, I am getting inspired as I am writing my post!

See, inspiration is everywhere, we just have to be willing to listen....

Hope this helps!