Monday, April 28, 2008

Revising our Work

This week, we’ve decided to write about our writing. After a discussion about the difficulty we are each having with revising our works in process, we decided it would make a good topic for our blog. So here we go.

I have been having a terrible time lately with revision. I’ve gone through my complete manuscript once so far and no matter what I do, it just doesn’t sound good enough. I know it’s probably a personal problem, everyone else who has read some of it has stated that it doesn’t sound bad. But to me, it still does. I know I have several more drafts ahead of me, I just hope that I can be happy with the results.

I’m probably trying to be a perfectionist. I don’t know why, because I’m not a perfectionist in everything. But when it comes to my work, I want it to be the best that I can make it. I want to write a story that my readers can enjoy. One that they can get lost in and not be pulled out due to poor writing.

So I’ve been working really hard trying to make it the best that I can. I rely on my wonderful critique partners to help me with this. I don’t know what I would do without someone else helping. After a while, when you read the story over and over, you start to lose the ability to see it for what it is. That’s when someone can come in with fresh eyes and give you an honest opinion. Without that, I’d never be able to finish.

I’m ready to turn over my story to them and let them cut it up. I hope they find all the mistakes that I’ve made and help me to polish it until it shines. Once that is finished, I will fix my errors and edit it one more time before I finally send it off to find a home.

I know that everyone goes through this. Hopefully, I will get better the more I do it. But for now, this is my process. I’d love to hear your comments on what you do when you revise. What do you look for? Or if you are a reader, what pulls you out of a story? What are the worst offenses you’ve noticed writers make? Post a comment and let me know what you think.

2 deadly screams:

Molly Daniels said...

I've finally gotten brave enough to send one of my 'babies' to a critique partner. We're doing a chapter a week, and she's helped me see my over-used words/phrases, as well as pointing out where I'm too wordy in some places and too vague in others. Hopefully, when we're finished, it will be ready to submit and the right publisher will grab it.

With every book, we get a little better. Our voice becomes stronger, the details clearer, and we may even get speedier writing down the voices in our heads! You'll get there; sometimes you have to stop reading your work for a week or so. Take a step back and clear your brain before you tackle it again.

Sierra Wolfe said...

Thanks Molly! That's great advice and so true. I appreciate you reading my blog and sending your comments. It's so nice to hear from other people who go through the same things we do. I think I will get better, practice makes perfect. :) Sometimes, we just need to be reminded of that. Thank you for reminding me.

Sierra